Back to all articles

Documents You Need to File Taxes

Use our tax document checklist

It’s that time of year again. Tax documents will start rolling in any day now. Use the list below to check off records and documents as you gather them. It’ll ensure a smooth tax filing experience and avoid delays caused by chasing copies of missing documents.

Wage and Earnings Records

Form W-2 from your employer

Form 1099-NEC (Non-Employee Compensation) for income earned as a contractor from sources whom you have received payment of $600 or more

Form 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income sources whom you have received payment of $600 or more

Form 1099-R for distributions greater than $10 from pensions, annuities, retirement or profit-sharing plans, IRAs, insurance contracts

Form 1099-K for at least 200 transaction payments collected via credit or debit cards that equal $20,000 or more

Unemployment compensation

Jury duty payment

Voting poll compensation

Social Security statement

Pension payments received

Record of IRA contributions or other activities. These are reported to the IRS on a Form 5498, but the form is not needed to file your taxes.

Economic Impact Payment (EIP) (stimulus check)

Capital gains from sales of stock or real estate

Interest earned

Prize, award, or scholarship money received

Income from hobbies

Income from sales of clothing and shoes, household goods, furniture, books, etc.

Form W-2 G — winnings from gambling

Tax Records

County, city, and school/real estate taxes paid

Quarterly taxes paid throughout the year

Last year's tax return and the professional tax preparer's fees

Any state tax refunds received

Self-Employment Expense Records

Equipment and supply receipts: equipment and consumables (raw materials, postage, toner, paper, etc.)

Vehicle expenses or a business-dedicated portion of them: insurance, inspections, registration, repairs, gas mileage

Travel receipts: mileage, plane fare, lodging, and meals while traveling for business

Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your business, if your business requires one

Office expense receipts: mortgage or rent, hired professional fees: painting, carpet cleaning, construction/repair, remodeling costs, appliance replacement or repair, and utility/sewage/refuse costs

Home office expense receipts. If you work from home and a portion of your home is dedicated exclusively to your work, you may be able to deduct a portion of your mortgage payments, utility/sewage/refuse costs, and homeowner association fees.

Miscellaneous Expense Records

Professional association fees or union dues

Job hunting expenses, if you're unemployed

Unreimbursed moving expenses, if moving for work

Healthcare Documents

HSA or FSA contribution amounts and reimbursed claims amounts. If you're enrolled in an HSA or FSA program, you'll need receipts from prescriptions, doctors, hospitals, dentists, optometrists.

Form 1095-A (Health Insurance Marketplace® Statement) If you have coverage through the Marketplace (a.k.a. the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare), you'll receive this form. It lists your payments and your Premium Tax Credit if you received one when you purchased your coverage.

Charitable Donation Receipts

Monetary donations

 Fair market value of donated clothing and shoes, household goods, furniture, books, etc.

Home Energy Documents

Receipts from energy efficiency home improvements, including exterior doors/windows, insulation, certain roofs, high-efficiency heating/ac/water heaters, biomass fuel burning stoves, solar water heaters, solar electric equipment, wind turbines, and fuel cell property. These improvements can earn you tax credits through either the Non-Business Energy Property Tax Credit or the Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit.

Higher Educational Documents

Form 1098-T from your school. This lists qualifying expenses (tuition, grants or scholarships received, enrollment fees, or expenses for required enrollment materials).

Student loan interest paid. You'll receive Form 1098-E if you paid $600 or more in student loan interest

Tuition savings plans (529 plans or Coverdell Savings Accounts)

Federally Designated Disaster Situations Documents

 FEMA assistance received

 Fair market value of lost real and personal property

Personal and Family Documents

Your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN). If relevant, you’ll need this information for your spouse and/or ex-spouse, as well.

Your birthdate, plus the full names and birthdates of your spouse, ex-spouse, and your dependents, if applicable

Childcare expenses and the provider's tax ID number

Alimony and/or child support paid or received

 Qualified adoption expenses

Form 8332. If you don't have custody of your child/children, the other parent can enable you to claim the child/children as dependents and surrender their right to do so.

A check for direct deposit routing and account information and/or to pay your tax preparer

A photo ID
View all blog posts under category Learn View all blog posts under category 2021 View all blog posts under category tax document checklist View all blog posts under category tax document help View all blog posts under category tax documents View all blog posts under category taxes View all blog posts under category what documents you need to file your taxes

Recommended for you

Unstable Job, Stable Finances

Take these steps when transitioning between jobs.