We're proud of our past, but focused firmly on your future.
It was 1953 and America was on the move.
Elvis was about to start rocking, cars with big fins and fenders were rolling, and people everywhere were hopping aboard propeller-driven planes and setting out to see the world. Thanks to post-war prosperity, the commercial aviation industry was booming and that was good news for Pittsburgh.
Newly christened Allegheny Airlines decided to move most of its operations to the city. Shortly after, its employees launched the Allegheny Airlines Federal Credit Union, the forerunner to what would eventually become Clearview Federal Credit Union.
At the time, there were plenty of big banks around to handle people's money. Still, employee groups in many industries looked for alternatives. While banks prioritized profits for shareholders, not-for-profit credit unions offered a better value for working men and women with their low fees, affordable loans, and high dividend rates on savings accounts.
That dynamic is as true today as it was when Dwight Eisenhower was president.
But that's hardly the last chapter in Clearview's biography. While Allegheny Airlines is nothing more than a footnote in aviation history, its financial offspring has continued to grow and prosper. Over the years, we've celebrated many milestones.
We changed our name to Clearview in 2004. Just as importantly, we changed our charter to a community-based credit union, meaning we could accept anyone who lives, works, worships, attends school, or volunteers in the western Pennsylvania counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington, and Westmoreland.
Over the years, we’ve grown in countless ways. We’re helping over 100,000 members enjoy a better life. We’ve added many Clearview locations – we call them financial centers – so that our members can visit us without traveling far. We've added a wide range of business services that benefit big companies, corner stores, and everything in between. And, we've steadily upgraded our technology, adding video tellers to many drive-thru lanes and Online and Mobile banking services that allow people to access their accounts anytime and anyplace it's convenient for them.
Despite our success, we don't dwell much on the past. Instead, we look forward to helping thousands more families get on the right financial track. We look forward to our employees donating thousands more volunteer hours to local events and worthy causes. And we look forward to doing everything we can to help the communities we serve grow and prosper just as we have.
What shapes Clearview's mission? It must be a Pittsburgh thing. After all, this is a place where neighbors help neighbors, where loyalty counts, and everyone pitches in when needed. And why is our hometown like that? As our friends at Allegheny Airlines might have put it, there must be something in the air.
Helping People to Enjoy a Better Life.
We make a meaningful difference in our community by delivering financial services with a fun-loving spirit and servant’s heart.
We treat our Members and Staff like our business depends on them - because it does!
- Maintains, monitors, and protects the safety and soundness of the credit union and its assets
- Understands and monitors the performance and results of the credit union
- Approves an annual budget for the credit union
- Retains independent auditors, accountants, and legal or governance counsel as is necessary
- Ensures the credit union acts ethically and with genuine financial integrity
- Exercises good faith as a member collective and acts in the best interest of all members
- Protect and safeguard member assets
- Ensure the financial condition of the credit union is accurately presented in the organization’s financial statements
- Ensure that records are maintained properly, honestly, and accurately
- Oversee the company's process for monitoring compliance with laws and regulations, board polices, management policies, and the company's Code of Conduct
- Verify proper internal controls are in place
- Ensure that members receive the best possible service
The Internal Audit department’s primary responsibilities are to review and audit the system of internal controls, review compliance with laws, regulations, and policies, and to provide reasonable assurance that risks are appropriately managed at Clearview. They also assist the committee in researching and investigating member complaints.