Clearview Federal Credit Union
Membership Membership

Credit Union History

During its 60 years of operation, Clearview Federal Credit Union has grown from a small financial institution to Southwestern Pennsylvania's largest credit union. Its roots began in 1953 when Allegheny Airlines employees established Allegheny Airlines Federal Credit Union, a member-owned financial cooperative for all Allegheny Airline employees. The following is a brief list of notable events in the history of Clearview.

  • 1953 - Allegheny Airlines employees established Allegheny Airlines Federal Credit Union, a member-owned financial cooperative for all airline employees. The Credit Union conducted its first 12 years of business at Washington National Airport. At that time, the Credit Union's assets totaled $826,541, with a total of 1,390 members.
  • 1965 - Ralph B. Canterbury became President/CEO.
  • 1966 - The Credit Union moved from Washington, D.C. to a new office in Pittsburgh at the Allegheny Airlines hangar facility.
  • 1969 - Lake Central Airlines Federal Credit Union merged with the Credit Union.
  • 1972 - Mohawk Federal Credit Union merged with the Credit Union. By the end of 1972, the Credit Union's assets totaled over $10 million.
  • 1975 - The Credit Union started offering Share Certificates.
  • 1978 - As the Credit Union continued to grow, it became necessary to build a new facility. 1.5 acres were purchased on what was then called Beers School Road, now University Boulevard, in Moon Township, PA.
  • 1979 - Construction for the new 13,000 square foot building began in April of 1979. In October of that year, the name of the airline and the Credit Union changed to USAir.
  • 1980 - On March 17th, USAir Federal Credit Union held its grand opening at its new location.
  • 1985 - The Credit Union reached $100 million in assets with a total of 23,101 members. By this time, the Credit Union was operating as a full-service financial institution, offering products including savings, loans, checking and ATM cards.
  • 1988 - The Credit Union merged with Pacific Southwest Airline Federal Credit Union.
  • 1989-1995 - The Credit Union continued to grow, opening branch offices in other states and expanding the main office building in Moon Township, PA. The grand opening of the Charlotte branch was held May 1, 1993.
  • 1997 - The name of the Credit Union again changed, this time to US Airways Federal Credit Union.
  • 2000- After 35 years of Service, President Ralph B. Canterbury retires.
  • 2000 - Joseph C. Cirelli becomes President/CEO.
  • 2002 - The Credit Union merged with Ohio Valley General Hospital Federal Credit Union.
  • 2003 - In April, US Airways Federal Credit Union completed a merger with B-K Pittsburgh Employees Federal Credit Union. On November 13, 2003, the Credit Union celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
  • 2004 - President Joseph Cirelli celebrates 35 years of service and retires later that year.
  • 2004 - The name of the Credit Union changed to Clearview Federal Credit Union and the charter changed to community with membership open to the Southwestern Pennsylvania community, including the following counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington and Westmoreland.
  • 2004 - Mark S. Brennan becomes President/CEO.
  • 2005 - The Credit Union opens a full-service branch in Brentwood, PA.
  • 2005 - Clearview merges with Harbison-Walker Employees Federal Credit Union.
  • 2005 - Clearview rolls out Business Loans and Services to members.
  • 2006 - Clearview opens full-service branches in Center Township, PA and Robinson Township, PA.
  • 2007 - Clearview opens full-service branches in Chippewa, Kennedy Township and Sewickley, PA.
  • 2008 - Clearview celebrates its 55th Anniversary. Clearview merges with Hopewell Joint School Employees Credit Union and opens its full-service Hopewell Township branch. Clearview also opens a full-service branch in McMurray, PA, and in Wexford, PA.
  • 2009 - Clearview unveils their revamped Youth Accounts. Clearview opens a full-service branch in Butler, PA.
  • 2010 - Clearview opens a full-service branch in Canonsburg, PA. A branch is also opened at The Village of St. Barnabas, located in Butler County. Clearview merges with 11,000-member based A-K Valley Federal Credit Union.
  • 2011 - Clearview completes its merger with A-K Valley Federal Credit Union, incorporating its four branches to fully reflect the Clearview brand.
  • 2013 - Clearview celebrates its 60th anniversary and proud history of serving members since 1953.
  • 2013 - Clearview launches Mobile Deposit, a new feature of Mobile Banking that allows members to deposit checks by taking a picture on their smartphone or tablet device. The Credit Union continues to become more accessible and convenient to members with updates to the latest technologies and financial products.
  • 2014 - Clearview celebrates its 10th anniversary as a community-chartered Credit Union, and completes a merger with Tri-State Federal Credit Union, gaining over 5,000 new members and three new branches in East Liverpool, OH, Midland, PA and the 911th Airlift Wing in Moon Township, PA

Clearview continues to develop innovative new products and services that allow continued outstanding member service and convenience. Plus, with the addition of more branch offices and ATMs to come, Clearview is becoming more accessible.

 

Your savings federally insured to at least $250,000 and backed by the full faith and credit of the United States Government. National Credit Union Administration, a U.S. Government Agency.
Site Map  |   Privacy  |   Disclosures  |   Careers
Equal Housing Lender